Friday, March 28, 2014

Post - Service

I noticed how into their culture the family still was, and they don't seem interested in giving up their own culture to live here. Which I think is wonderful that they don't feel like they have to conform, and they are very willing to learn English, and things that 'typical' Americans do. They ask alot of questions and like to have fun which shows how willing and open they are to the American lifestyle. This experience has helped me to see how much effort it takes to uproot your entire family and move to a different country for your own safety. I have a lot of respect for them knowing that they left behind all their friends, and families to come to a place that they think is safer for them. It takes a lot of courage to do something like that, and even though they are still learning how to live here and how to speak English and become accustomed to the kind of lifestyle that has been created in America they are more than willing to do that which is something I don't know that I could do. I think it'll help me with my future intercultural interactions because I can sometimes be quick to judge when you see so many minorities and then there's that one family that doesn't speak English. It can be frustrating, but everyone has their own story and some people have only been here a short amount of time, it'll help me to remember to take a step back and realize that I don't know everyone's life story, and I don't know their situation so I shouldn't be so quick to judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment